Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Great Cilantro/Tortilla Dilemma

There appears to be a large divide between those who like (or love!) cilantro and those who claim it tastes like soap. I have heard it proposed (though I have no definitive proof) that there is actually a gene that controls the way you taste cilantro and for those with (or without?) the gene, cilantro tastes like soap. Again, no proof, but I would recommend if you are serving for a crowd, find out the taste preferences of your guests--or provide offerings with and without cilantro. I guess all the more cilantro for me Chef Brett!

Oddly enough, we have the exact same tortilla preferences in my house as in Chef Brett's: my hubby prefers flour tortillas in his enchiladas and I prefer corn. I solve our dilemma by making 2/3 of the enchiladas with flour and 1/3 corn (if you layer flour tortillas on one end and corn on the other of a 9 x 13 pan, they fit perfectly). However, it must be said, my hubby will eat just about anything so I'm not sure why I go through the trouble--it must be love! Just to keep things interesting, when we make tacos/burritos, I prefer flour and he prefers corn!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment