Tuesday, November 22, 2011

When Life Gives You Apples...

I ALWAYS have apples in my fruit basket. Ever since my boys were big enough to chew, they have loved apples; it isn't uncommon for them each to eat 2 a day! Maybe that has something to do with their mom being a doctor...? ;) Apples are a good source of soluble fiber, pectin, which helps to lower cholesteral and aids the body in elimination of toxins. Apples are helpful in regulating digestion, improving both constipation and diarrhea. They are also a great source of vitamin C.


Recently, my mom delivered a bag overflowing with apples from her tree. They were less-than-perfect to look at and more than even my children could consume so I took the opportunity to play with my new kitchen toy: a steamer juicer! I had used it to make grape juice before, but apples were a new one. A wonderfully simple process, I filled the basin with water, heaped quartered apples in the steamer basket, covered, and left it on the stove for a couple of hours.

Here's the "before" picture:




After 2 hours, I drained off almost 2 quarts of apple juice into clean jars I had sterilized and kept hot in my oven set at 200.



The juice turned out thick, almost like a syrup, as it cooled and my kiddos didn't really like the mouth feel. So, what was I to do with it? I found a recipe for Delicata Squash with Rosemary, Sage, and Cider Glaze and it turned out FANTASTIC! It will be on my table for Thanksgiving this year (though this time I'll be making it with butternut squash as all the delicata was gone from my local farm store). So, when life gives you apples, make apple juice...and then make this!


Happy Thanksgiving and Bon Appetit!


Dr. Crystal




No comments:

Post a Comment